Tuesday, October 07, 2003

It's hard to imagine and impossible to tell visually, but Alex's grown so much. We put him next to the official growing stick and he just seems like such a bigger boy now!



So a quick update about our little boy. He's getting a little fussier about things now. He's definitely learning that by being vocal, he gets what he wants. He's also needing more showers now, by the second day he usually starts smelling a bit like stale formula and dried baby poo. It's very appealing. He is learning to lay by himself longer and longer with each passing day, and he is learning that hugs are the best substitute for boredom. The Winnie the Pooh mobile in his room is starting to hold his attention longer than any of us are capable of doing, and he's just wonderful to look at.

My wife had a good laugh last night because she fitted Alex with a light blue outfit that has no legs, just like a potato sack with a hood. So when she put him down and took a shower, Alex started to fuss so I started to pick him up. Now at my defense, I was already feeling crappy that my weekend was almost over, and that I still had a ton of editing to do, and that the headache that I've been fighting is still hanging around. So I go to pick him up and I say, "No wonder you're crying, you look so stupid.

Now that was a callous thing to say, and I don't mean that in a mean way, but my wife was giggling in the shower because of the way I said it. Sigh. This parenthood thing has certainly taught us how much patience it requires to tend to a baby, and also how cheap heroin really is if you buy it from the right dealer.

I'm joking.

Oh, yeah. That's the stuff...