Friday, June 09, 2006

Okay, here's the thing about high-fives.

They're stupid.

I don't get a lot of requests for them because I'm usually not friends with the high-fiving types, but more importantly, I graduated high school so my high-fiving days were pretty much over.

However, somewhere along their new lives, people have taught Zoe and Alex the concept of high-five, and the kids love it. Perhaps it's the hitting nature of it, or maybe it's just something fun to do (Clap with someone else! But only once!), but they like to say things like, "Daddy, high-five," mostly out of the blue. We usually stick to the "Good Jobs" and "Yayy for you!" and hugs, but we hardly do any high-fives. We're not prudes or anything, it's just such a stupid gesture.

Consider this - it's not a formal greeting of any sorts, it's impersonal, and when done incorrectly, can miss its mark and you end up smacking someone on the top of his head. What then, Batman? What then?

But the kids love it, so I have to do it because it makes them happy. Zoe will hope up Kitty's paw and she high-fives it with her free hand, which is so cute that a kiosk with a coin slot ought to be put up around her so people will line up to see it. Alex always has a satisfied smile on his face when he does it too, so for now I will have high-five my children.

And don't even get me started on pounds.

Comments: Post a Comment