Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Feeling sorry for myself? Haven't had the time...

Yes, I know. Many of you would say, "Why would you have to feel sorry for yourself? You have two beautiful children, and a wonderful wife, and the most fertile sperm in the world! What's your issue?"

And yes, I have all those, and I'm grateful for everyday I get to spend with my family. It's been extremely busy in the past few days - being constantly surrounded by poopy diapers, bottles that need to be boiled and washed and made up with formula, and crying. Lots of crying. Normal crying for each baby, mind you, but sometimes, it's in stereo. Surround sound, rattle your head type of stereo.

I interrupt this entry now for something really funny. My wife needed to get some laundry out of Alex's room - he's taking his normal afternoon nap now, and she had to sneak in his room to get the clothes. She told me that she had to get on her hands and knees and move slowly and quietly, so she wouldn't wake him up. It's like Mission Impossible, to sneak pass the sleeping baby undetected. You have to be a parent to understand that you don't wake sleeping babies, or there's hell to pay.

Anyway, my mom was up the last few days, helping us out with baby watch and cooking for us, which is always a good thing, and that's been slightly helpful. She also did a few things that were counterproductive, like rearranging my room and doing strange things with my kitchen, but the tradeoff is worth it. My wife's headaches from the spinal thingy has gotten better; now she just gets normal headaches.

To all new parents out there, "What to Expect When You're Expecting" is a very good book to get. It's our freakin' bible around here. Zoe's jaundice is still worrisome for us, and we were wondering if she was sleep too much because of it, but the book said that it was normal for newborns to be awake only 3 minutes out of every hour. That really consoled my wife, who is still very worried for Zoe. We forgot how fragile and delicate newborns were the first few months of their life. It seems like everything is out to get them, and nothing is safe. With Zoe, we worry about her general health, and her low immune system, about SIDS, about colds and flus and bugs and having enough to eat, or having too much to eat, pooping enough, peeing enough - basically we want to make sure all her basic bodily functions perform as they should.

With Alex, it's a little different. We worry about him less, and it's a different set of worries. We worry about him eating things, because anything that fits in his mouth is fair game; we worry about him choking, because he likes to stuff handfuls of food in his mouth, even if we just performed The Heimlich Maneuver on him; and we worry about him not getting enough attention, now that he has a baby sister.

So life here is busy, right now there's two sleeping babies, so I can blog, do some chores, and change into my day clothes. I'm still in my jammies and it's 1:25 in the afternoon!

Comments: Post a Comment