Friday, March 14, 2003

Was thinking about abortion today, because of the canceled amnio appointment. Originally, when we found out we were pregnant and I was reading up on it, I read about the risks and how an amniocentesis would be able to test for any chromosomal or genetic disorders, and then knew what was coming, and then it would perhaps help us decide if we should keep the baby or not. All political correctness aside, dedicating your life to accomodating a child with Down's Syndrome or any other "challenges" is not for everyone.

I consider myself to be Pro-Choice. I think women should have the option to choose, to a varying degree. Abortion should be an option for some women, such as victims of rape, incest, and even women who may die from going through labor. And even women who do choose to abort a fetus when they've decided that they don't want to take care of a baby, they should have that option. I don't necessarily think that it's responsible, but it's their option. My Fiance, is very Pro-Life. She thinks that a fetus is a baby. It's killing another human being, and it's just morally wrong and irresponsible. We agree to disagree, and I think we've managed to discuss about our points of view relatively fairly, without really pushing the issue on each other too much.

The canceled amnio brought us together on one thing, that no matter how the baby is going to be like, we're going to keep it. My mind changed with the first ultrasound, when I saw the baby on the monitor, just kicking and moving up a storm. It has a heartbeat, it had a personality, no matter how instinctual, and it had a name that the ultrasound technician keyed in. "Baby Loi." All those factors were enough for me to attach emotions to something that was not clearly visible to me. Especially now when the baby is moving so much inside FC, although only she can feel it, I feel the excitement just fine from where I'm from.

In the end, I'm still Pro-Choice, what people decide to do with their bodies is still their business. But I'll never regret the decision the both of us made about keeping the baby, no matter what the circumstances may be.

Comments: Post a Comment