Monday, June 30, 2003

All quiet on the internet front.

All the usual suspects are either in transit or just don't check the blog, but that's okay. Sniff.

My wife and I are in the process of trying to decide what I should do with my career. In about two months, I will have to decide if I want to do videography as a full time position, or stay at Freddys and be the auditor. There's one thing to say about freedom from Freddys, but my position is pretty much a guaranteed one. Unless I'm doing a bad job, my job is necessary for the store, so the likelihood of me being let go is relatively slim. People can stop wanting weddings.

Here are the pros and cons.

Videography means that I can spend more time at home, and probably more time with Alex. I will also be able to see my wife more, and not have to worry about not having enough time with family. I will have the freedom to work at home, time to edit, and do a lot of camera and editing work, which is ultimately helpful to my career. I can sleep in as well. However, the paycheck will not be steady, and not guaranteed. Editing on that scale could make me dread the editing process, although I will undoubtedly get better at it. I will have to go pursue jobs, advertise, and spend a lot of my own money to make money. I will likely be able to work on films as well.

Freddys is a guaranteed paycheck, paid vacation, some sort of health benefits, and I don't take my work home with me. It's pretty predictable, which is good for my social life because I will be able to relax without worrying that I have editing to do. It's a little mundane, but I will have open time to spend with Alex and not worry about editing whatsoever. However, Freddy's does mean that I will see my wife less, Alex a little less, and will be seeing JL more and dealing mostly with her being a teenager. That sounds like all kinds of scary. I might not be able to do movies on the weekdays, but weekends may be a possibility.

And no, I can't do both. I do it now, and I'm disgusted with casual things that I should be enjoying, like listening to "Mr. Sandman" and typing in the blog.

I did a 60th wedding anniversary yesterday, and they wanted music from the 1940s. Thus, Mr. Sandman.

Yeah, the 60th anniversary was cool.

Comments: Post a Comment