Thursday, November 11, 2004

57 Different Varieties, and a portion goes to John Kerry's Wife.

Yeah, it's almost been a week since any kind of update, so I'm having to play ketchup again.

First of all, as requested, here's the video of Zoe's Second GiggleFest.

And while we're on the subject, the little girl is doing ten times better! Her colic has pretty much faded away and she's taking lots of naps, like a normal baby her age. Plus, she's actually sleeping through the night now, even though her bedtime still fluctuates. But when she sleeps, she goes all the way to 8 in the morning, about the same time Alex sleep till. So that means more rest of the parents! That's always a good thing. I am not the kind of guy who enjoys waking up in the middle of the night. Even watching "Girls Gone Wild" infomercials doesn't justify having to get up in the middle of the night. She's still doing a lot of smiling, but she still has her fair share of blank stares and spaciness.

And now, a story.

My wife and I were getting some dessert for some company the other night, and we had both babies in tow. Alex was in his cart, and I was holding Zoe when my wife asked me for my opinion. So I left the cart, and my wife asked me what kind of sugar she should get. She explained the differences, and I offered my opinion, "Whatever you want to do, sweetie." And then she said, "Is that Alex?" Later she explained to me that she was picking sugar, when she saw this little boy with really big eyes. Then she thought, wow, he's really cute. And then she thought, "Hmmm. He looks like Alex." And then she realized, hey! It is Alex! What's he doing over there!? I think it was funny that she didn't recognize him, but it's not the first time. There was the time she was checking this guy out at Blockbuster, smacking her lips at his sight of his ass, and thinking that he was tall, dark, and handsome... and then she realized it was me.

Well, the videography thing might not be happening, because if I was going to do it right, I would need some money. And we pretty much ran into a brick wall at that time because we couldn't be any more in debt. I realized that it was probably not the wisest thing to do, so that idea is once again abandoned. Back to square one. However, I inquired about a job locally and got to meet the guy tonight. The bad news is, he's not looking for an employee per se, but the good news is that he's considering contracting out once in a while, when too many weddings occur on the same day. Even at the base pay he suggested, I wouldn't mind doing it even if it was maybe just twice a year. Best news is, I don't have to edit any of it! Wheee!

The flea bombs didn't take. Apparently there were some smart fleas who built a shelter or something like that, and while half the fleas fought the seeping fog that was threatening to kill them, the other half was busy procreating or something. We haven't had the numbers as before, mostly judging from the bites, but they're around. My wife's seen them on Alex. So, we might try Fleabusters like Ted suggested on the comments. A DIY project. But for 40 bucks a pop, it'd better work. Otherwise I'd just assume to make everyone in the house eat a clove of garlic every day. Drink Garlic juice or something.

Two television shows have become part of my routine now - from 6 - 8 every night, I watch alternating reruns of "The Simpsons" and "Malcolm in the Middle." Now, the Simpsons seems like an obvious choice, and there's a treasure trove of episodes that I haven't seen, because I didn't start watching them until recently. I just thought it was mostly for kids, since Bart started out being the breakout character, being the "underachiever" and "eat my shorts" was such the big thing. But now I really know that Homer's the true hero of this family - he behaves he way he does to make the rest of us feel better about being ourselves. And Marge really reminds me of my wife in this aspect, that she always manages to forgive me and love me no matter what a stupid, horrible man I am sometimes. And like Marge, somehow she manages to still be intensely attractive to this Homer.

"Malcolm in the Middle" was a complete surprise for me. I remember watching it when it first came out, and decided that it was too extreme for my tastes. After all, you have a face-acting kid who talks to the camera. You can't help but be a little annoyed at that premise. But since it replaced "Friends" (which is incidentally weird that they ran reruns while it was still on the air, but dumped them once they were actually off the air.) I ended up watching it more, and liking in more. Aside from the absurd stunts and buffoonery that usually accompanies every episode, there's something else in this show that's truly amazing. I have to admit, I wouldn't enjoy the show if I wasn't a parent. Even though my babies are still babies, and not wrecking havoc like the kids on the show, the Mom and Dad (Hal and Lois) are profoundly human and honest characters. They are flawed, they doubt their ability to parent, they are constantly struggling with the kids, finances, jobs, their future, their parents, and they are actually the two characters on TV that can say, "I don't like our new baby," in an honest, overwhelmed way - and then resolve it without some sappy scene. Instead, Hal just says, "You've forgotten. You never liked any of our babies." And without having to explain it out, just hint that it's just a phase, and that it'll pass. I don't even know if the show is actually still on, but I really appreciate Fox's effort to take some risks creatively. Sure, they bombard us with crap reality shows and American Idol, but they sure make it up with some gems.

That's it for me. Gotta go to bed.

Comments: Post a Comment