Monday, March 15, 2004

Insomniac



Well, I would actually like to be asleep and could probably fall asleep if my brain wasn't racing with thoughts. I woke up at 4:45am here at my Mom's place feeling sorta cold, and my wife stirred as well. I asked her if Alex was feeling okay because we had to place his playpen in the bathroom (it's not as bad as it sounds, there's a vanity area and a toilet area - we didn't put him on the toilet) because if he saw us at all, he'd start crying. Not sure if it's because seeing us freaks him out or it just reminds him that he's not being held by us. Anyway, woke up, went the the bathroom and then I couldn't fall back asleep for the life of me. Laid in bed next to my snoring wife (they always snore louder when you can't sleep) and thought about everything from Peanut's well being, to whether if Alex was warm enough, to editing GTA Vice City clips to "Take these Broken Wings", to the soundtrack of "West Side Story." And those are just the things I remembered. I finally got up at around 5:50am and decided that it just wasn't going to happen. Not when Showtunes are running through my head.

"When you're a Jet,
You're a Jet all the Way,
From your first cigarette
To your last dying day..."


We had a semi tough time trying to get the little boy to fall asleep last night. To be more specific, he was sleeping until we came into the room, and then he opened his eyes, glanced at us, closed his eyes. Then he did it again, and realized, "Hey! You're not holding me!" and burst out in tears. My wife tried conforting him, and then I tried, feeding him some formula, which usually sends him to La-la land. When it was finally beginning to work, I sneezed and scared the poor little guy into tears again. My wife thought it was hilarious.

Haven't really had a clear head these past few days. I would embark on some little project, then toward completion I would stop and wonder why I was doing it in the first place. I was compiling a Super Mp3 collection of songs, thinking I would compile all my mp3 cds onto a DVD disk, which would mean that I would have 4.7 Gigs worth of songs, which translates to a playlist of songs that will play for slightly longer than I'll ever live. I was up to about 2.5 gigs of songs when I realized - That's 500+ songs. I don't even have that many songs that I really like. So I deleted the whole project and end up having nothing to prove for it.

So anyway, we'll find out later today if Peanut's going to be a George or Nancy. Those aren't really the names we got picked out, but they sure sound like great names... for somebody else's baby.

Oh yeah, watched "Monster's Ball" and actually liked it. I didn't think I would hate it, just thought that it's dark nature would just leave me depressed - but the resolution at the end didn't feel forced, and actually felt perfect. If you ever rent the DVD, watch the Behind the Scenes footage - I have a newfound respect for Billy Bob Thorton for being such a goofball on set. He'd say something snide off camera, something like, "My Daddy invented the first pre-measured, pre-mixed Douche." and then walk on camera and deliver his first line a second later, leaving the poor chap already in the scene having to carry on. And he'd do it. Worth a watch.

More later. The more I type the more awake I am!

Comments: Post a Comment