Saturday, April 03, 2004

My wife finally gave me a good thing to post about, even though there have been going-ons ans normal stuff happening. Just wanted to write something that didn't bore myself.

So, this is about stranger anxiety. Not the normal kind you generally associate with babies not like people who aren't familiar, no. This is a different kind of stranger anxiety in that the parent is the one who suffers from it.

I'm sure my wife and I are unique in this - I'm guessing other people aren't as weird about this as we are. So, as you can see, Alex is quite a dashing young man, and he's got that killer smile that'll make you forget that he woke you up at 7:30 in the morning. So from time to time, strangers in grocery stores, malls, and wherever else you take the baby will simply walk up to the baby, and either start talking to Alex or just start pinching his cheek, or tugging at his little feet. Now, my wife and I don't really mind it, but we don't know how to behave around it.

See, the stranger is often addressing Alex, and telling him that he's a big boy, or a handsome boy, and smiling at him. They often don't ask if they can touch Alex, so that means they often don't even address us, the parents. So we mostly just smile, say "Thanks" on his behalf, and that's about it. Often we feel kinda awkward because we don't really know what to say to the person, because the person is just complimenting him, and barely noticing you.

The other time, I think in the doctor's office, Alex was sitting in my lap and I was just waiting for something or another, when a nurse came by and starting doing just that. She went for his little foot and exclaimed about what a cute little foot he had, and all the while I was thinking: Dude, your hand is inches from my genitals. That is not right. I know, it's childish, but people tend to forget about your personal space (or Alex's for that matter) when they are smitten with the baby bug. It's kinda bizarre.

Comments: Post a Comment