Thursday, May 22, 2003

Lives in Flux

Just less than four days ago, my step-grandchild was born, and this September, we will be expecting our first son -- my first child, my wife's third. And in Algeria, about a thousand people just perished in such a short and tragic time. All it took was an earthquake to destroy a thousand experiences into memories, and thousands more will have to live the rest of their lives trying to hold on to the memories of the people they've lost. And in my home, close to a hundred houseflies will spent their afterlives in the collection bin of my vacuum cleaner, because they've been subjected to my wrath.

I'm in one of those moods, halfway serious, halfway feeling flighty, so this post might seem a bit caustic. But as a ritual, as I come home from work everyday, I scorn at all the buzzing houseflies that somehow emerged from somewhere, and I systematically suck all of them up with the hose of the vacuum cleaner. The Dirt Devil is my weapon of choice mostly because it's a rather bloodless and somewhat passive way of ridding the house of the little pesky buggers. Of course, that's provided if you don't look in the collection bin, because you will witness the mass grave of fly parts and Franklin fur.

Alright, I'm ending the post. I'm bordering on bizarre.

Comments: Post a Comment