Thursday, March 16, 2006

Having a laptop at work means that I can blog offline about more inane, useless information.

It's nice though, not having to just watch TV soaps in the breakroom like everyone else, as good as soaps are.

Sometimes I'm worried about not liking my children when they get older. Sounds mean and premeditated, but it's not meant to come across that way. It's just that like with Franklin, our fat gray tabby - he was cute and interesting at one point, but now he's just a cat that gets on my nerves. I suppose it's all in the context. Cats aren't children. But I worry because children do inevitably grow up, and they could either get along with you really well, or they could grow up to have a completely polar personality than my own. Doesn't mean I won't love my children anymore, but what if you don't like them?

Yeah, it's a little taboo, I'm aware of that, but there are adults out there who are estranged with their parents. People who can't stand their parents. I think the best thing for me to do is to hope that we bring up the children correctly and they learn to be the kind of people who like their parents.

But right now, rest assured that I will give my children all the love I could possibly muster, and then give them some more on top of that. In a way, it's ironic that I'm so touchy feely because my father was pretty hands off. As was my mom. It wasn't that they didn't love me, it was just embedded in the culture that intimacy between parents and children were mostly verbal and emotional. Physical displays of affection were only for extended leave of absences or the bigger things.

Like my mom was saying, if only the Eastern and Western sensibilities got together, children would be more well-rounded. The Eastern sensibilities of child bringing with the strictness and discipline could use a little softening, and the Western "Buddy" sensibilities could use a little more rules.

Lunch is now over. Time for work.

Comments: Post a Comment