Saturday, March 11, 2006

The kids are doing fine, they really are.

Zoe is either really confused, or doing a well-rehearsed routine whereby she'll see me and when I say, "Hi Zoe," she'll reply either, "Hi Zoe" back or "Hi Buddy." Which is something I say to Alex. Oh yes, for good measure, she'll say, "Hi Alexis" to me. That baby talk slur. Gotta love it.

She also does something that always cracks me up, and I'm not sure what she's even trying to do. Whenever she visits me at work, she'll inevitably have to leave, and when she leaves, her jaw always drops wide open with a feigned look of shock on her face, and that jaw will stay open while she's being carried away. I have no idea what it means, but I'm pretty sure she's just being sweet in some odd manner.

We also call her "Repeater Girl" sometimes, because she will say one thing over and over again, in different pitches and in different tones. Duck? Duck. Duccck. Duck! Duck...

But most of all, this girl loves her Kitty. She tried unsuccessfully yesterday to play her Kitty on her head with one hand, and suck her thumb with the other hand while she tries to play with Kitty's tail. Yeah, it's pretty tough trying to visualize that. She won't go anywhere without her Kitty, and she'll usually go looking for him after she realizes that he isn't around. At the playground, we actually give her Kitty otherwise she'd just sit there and obssess about Kitty's absence.

Not to be out-obsessed, Alex is completely awe-struck with Spiderman. It has grown into some full-blown fanboy stuff, whereby he'll just sing the first two lines of the theme song. He'll empty out a red toy bin, sticks it over his head, and pretends to be Spiderman. With a belt, he utilizes his Method Acting background and transforms into Cranky Guy, a.k.a. Doctor Octopus. He's not sure what they do, but he sure likes pretending to be them.

Speechwise, he is doing fairly well. He repeats words he hears, and he'll repeat anything. Like the swear words that slips out once in a while. He can name most things, and he'll continually surprise us by learning something behind our backs. Damn television.

He's a really sweet boy. I'll ask him for a kiss and he'll give me one, which is such a nice gesture. I know there are Dads out there who would high-five all the time, but I dunno. I used to think I would never kiss my kids on the lips. Now I've amended that slightly to "never kiss my kids when their mouth is open".

So yeah, the kids are doing great.

Comments: Post a Comment